ABOUT HÖGSJÖ GÅRD
Today the Estate is privately owned and managed by the family of Carl von Mecklenburg. The estate has a history greater then 500 years and is extending 840 Ha, where 100 Ha is farm land. A few of the many sights on the estate are the "fatbur" (food shelter) and the chapel with traditions from the 18th century.
THE HISTORY OF HÖGSJÖ GÅRD
Högsjö Gård is first mentioned in literature during the late 13th century when the knight and councilor Ulf Jonsson af Ervalla was its owner. Among the prior owners are the lord Claes Rålamb who married the prior owner of the estate, Anna Stålarm, 1648. In 1657 he was sent as a royal ambassador to Turkey. During this trip he received a gold brocade that until a few years ago has been kept on the estate and now can be seen at the Swedish National Museum in Stockholm.
With the Claes Rålamb marriage, Högsjö Gård was transferred to the Rålamb family, who came to be the owner of Högsjö Gård for almost 150 years. The Rålamb family was a very wealthy family who owned many estates in Sweden, such as Bystad, Nynäs, Segersjö and Björkvik (Östergötland). One of the latest members of the Rålamb family was Claes Gustav Rålamb, born 1705 and married 1747 with Christina Sophia Sack. They left Högsjö Gård to their 3 children, who sold the estate to Christian Eberstein 1782 for the amount of 1782 rix-dolar in cupper coins.
Christian Eberstein had thru commerce and shipping business built quite a fortune during the American war of independence. When he retired he had acquired significant estates in the provinces of Sörmland and Östergötland. When Eberstein came back from Germany he was a dedicated attendee at the German church. At his own expence he had a new school house built, as well as a new personage to the Hedvig church. The church also received a new organ and altarpiece. This came to be the beginning of the Eberstein School in Norrköping. Eberstein was married three times. His second wife was Maria Carolina von Aken and the last wife was Hedvig Carolina Burén. She outlived Eberstein and got remarried to Göran af Segerström in 1818. To this wedding the Högsjö Gård chapel was redecorated with its present paintings, which are still well kept.
When Hedvig Carolina Burens died, Högsjö gård was inheritated by her nieces Beata Maria Eberstein and Maria Carolina Nordstedt, who was married to foundry proprietor Fredrik Ulrik von Aken. They bought the other sisters half in Högsjö Gård and started Högsjö Bruks school. After their death their son Frans Gustaf von Aken inheritated Högsjö Gård, and then his daughter Sigrid Maria von Aken became the owner. She was born in 1852 and married Baron Axel von Mecklenburg 1871. The estate has been in the property of the von Mecklenburg family ever since.
On a map from 1685, there are two two-story wing houses, where one of them acted as the chapel. The manor was built 1731-33 by baron Claes Rålamb and rebuilt by Frans von Aken in 1863 to which he hired the royal architect Axel Nyström to do the design of the house.